Sunday, December 21, 2008

Meet George!


This is George! I've always, always wanted a chameleon and I finally got one! It was my Christmas present to me that I saved my cat-sitting money for. He's a young veiled chameleon and I named him George (for no apparent reason). My dad helped me build him a fantastic cage and he lives next to the desk where I study. He's fascinating to watch, and that's about all he'll allow right now. They get stressed very easily so a three hour ride to College Station and switching his cage has him ready to attack me at the moment. But he'll calm down after a while. He's already used his infamous sticky tongue to snatch mealworms off my hand ( coolest thing ever!) and seems to be adjusting slowly. Luckily the dogs don't have much interest in him. If you've never seen one up close you're missing out! They are truly one of the strangest little creatures. Of course everyone knows about the long sticky tongue and the eyes that can look in different directions, but their little feet are weird too! It's split almost perfectly so two toes are on one side and three on the other. But the little toes are fused until the ends so there are just little nubs with nails. And the prehensile tail is just too cool when it wraps around your hand. He's a neat little guy to watch!

1 comment:

Courtney said...

sweet!!! he is so cool...toobad i cant see him in person :)