Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My Job in a Nutshell

I'm almost officially done with my training period (should be done tomorrow in fact), so I thought I would explain my job better. I've been getting a lot of questions about just exactly what it is I do. Well, I come bearing examples!

I'm a web developer (who tries to focus on rich/interactive media). What that essentially means is I write controls in a number of languages or markups that interact with your browser to render some kind of effect. Mostly, I write in CSS, Javascript, and Flash Actionscript 3.0. Due to the proprietary nature of our site building software, I don't actually have access to HTML which can make my job...difficult. I also make all my own graphics using a bunch of other nifty programs, some of which I'm sure you've heard of like Photoshop for instance. It's easiest to think of Web developers as a kind of hybrid between programmers and graphic artists. You can wiki all those terms if you like or I can just show you some stuff.

Fancy Intertubes
Click here to visit this Flash hub!
Above is an example of a Flash hub I made that uses Javascript and Flash to render animations and interactive elements (like the nav menu). If the site doesn't appear as it does above in the screenshot, you have a browser configuration we don't support (which means it's probably old).

Here's an example of a game I created using Flash and Actionscript 3.0:
Click here to play a piratey game!

A static hub:
A regular old graphic hub!

A home page with a lot going on including a Rovion character and a sound enabled flash control (Warning: This will kill your browser if you're connection is slow...plus it's pretty loud):
Click here to visit a dealer home page!

If you're wondering about all the pirate stuff, that's the "theme" of my training project to keep things fun and less monotonous.
Well, I hope that helps. As always, I'm happy to address questions in the comments section!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you Simon! That is cool stuff! I love and miss you very much...I enjoy reading here VERY much...This was really a great idea...I still need to hear your voice, so I have to keep calling, but this makes me feel closer to you both. So, thank you both for putting this together and updating it periodically...It really makes a HUGE difference for me...

Love you mega,
mom

Anonymous said...

Mom is so darn cute, huh.

Gosh, I really love you all so much. I'm actually welling up in tears right now. You have come so far. I hope I can be as successful as you two.

Please don't ever lose touch.

Love,

Aaron

Anonymous said...

Concerning the last comment:

No, I am not a homosexual.