Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The newest addition!



This is Oscar! I love George, but he does not feel the same way about me. In fact he hates me. I can't pet him at all, and I'd be content just to be able to stare at him all day, but he won't even let me do that. He turns dark and hides when he sees me :(

I had been considering getting another chameleon, a different species, for a while now because they are just the coolest little creatures. It's like watching a little colorful alien crawl around, they are so very strange. Well the perfect opportunity happened to pop up and I jumped on it! I was visiting Simmi in Dallas and there was someone offering a young, gorgeous panther chameleon with a nice cage for less than you can usually get the chameleon by itself! George is a veiled chameleon, Oscar is a panther chameleon. They don't have the tall crests on their head but they're much more colorful and usually friendlier. Well Oscar is all he's cracked up to be! He's only 6 months old and already his colors are fantastic (they don't show full color until they're 18 months) and he likes me. He lets me hold him, and I can stare at him as much as I want! When I open the cage to put in his crickets he shoots them off my hand with his tongue, which is way cool! I don't think I've seen him hiding yet. Of course they are odd little creatures, they get so stressed by even the sight of each other they stop eating. So now my desk is flanked on both sides by chameleons!

Just Me, Simon, 2 dogs, and 2 chameleons :)

This is George trying to scare me away when he tried to escape in the yard...little jerk.

No comments: